Saturday, April 25, 2009

Train Cake

Warren loves trains. He is the biggest train enthusiast I have ever met, and he is only 6 years old. He beats out our neighbor, who gets up at 4:00 AM every day just to watch the train pass. Warren is a kid in our primary class (ah-hem - our former primary class) and he constantly talks about trains. Today is his birthday, so we brought him a cake to share with the class as a final going away present.

Of course, I used the basic Cream Cheese Frosting recipe. It really has the best flavor and it is the easiest to make.

Are you wondering how I got so many yellow and blue M&Ms? It was quite simple:

1) There are quite a few of both of those colors.
2) I took a handful of M&Ms, used the blue and yellow ones, then ate the rest.

Using those principles in combination, it was a breeze to find just the right amount and color of candy pieces. In fact, I ate a LOT of the candy. For the gummy bears, I briefly considered eating all the red and orange ones and putting only the yellow and green ones on the cake. But then, in a moment of weakness, my conscience got the better of me and I decided that the kids wouldn't want only gross flavors, either. Ah, well...

I'd greatly appreciate it if you don't tell my bathroom scale about this little incident. I have a feeling it might try to retaliate....


Halfway through frosting the cake, I looked down and saw this.....YIPES!

As you can imagine, these cupcakes were CRUMBLY! The kids got really messy, then we ran away and let Kaia deal with it. Bless her heart, she must be a saint...

The cake is nothing special - it is just cake mix in this silicone cupcake set. Once you cover it with candy, the kids won't even notice the cake or the frosting. The fun thing about this set is it can also make a rocket or a truck.

1 comment:

Hali said...

Geesh! You guys are really nice to make a train fanatic a birthday cake when it's not even your child! I'm impressed.