Thursday, April 23, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries with Ginger-Peanut Sauce

Kevin walked up behind me while I chopped the sweet potatoes, wrapped his arms around me in a full, tender hug, and whispered in my ear, "Sweet potatoes are gross." So I get to eat all of them. This recipe is more work, and many, many more dishes to wash. But the fries turned out pretty darn good.

I had to look up "parboil." Why can't they just say "partially cook" if that is what they mean? Sheesh....it has to be so confusing. Also, I like sweet potatoes dipped in frosting mixed with cinnamon better than the peanut ginger.


Sweet Potato Fries
4 sweet potato fries (about 2 pounds)
1 t sea salt
1 T olive oil

Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch fries. Put them into 3 quarts cold water and 1 teaspoon salt in a large pot over high heat. Parboil (cook partially) uncovered for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and pat dry with a clean dish towel.

Toss the potatoes in a large bowl with 1 T olive oil. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake for 50 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes to ensure even browning, until tender.

Ginger-Peanut Dipping Sauce
1 t ground ginger (or 1 T minced fresh ginger)
1/2 c peanuts
1/2 c apple juice
1 t sugar
1/8 t cayenne
1/4 t salt

Blend until creamy.



No comments: