Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rolled Cake / Cream Cheese Frosting

I had to drizzle frosting on the top of these so you couldn't tell just how ugly it turned out.

Yes. It is ugly. Yes, I need serious help. If you can help me properly roll a cake, I will be eternally grateful and grovel at your feet. In public.

I started out with great hopes of a gorgeous, yummy cake. Kevin didn't want orange and so I made the frosting half strawberry and half orange. Then I got ready to frost the cooled cake and that is when everything hit the fan.


The cake broke as I was unrolling it. FOUR TIMES!

Looking online, it seems that my problem may have been that I rolled it up as soon as it came out of the oven instead of letting it cool for 5 minutes first. At any rate, it was really yummy and even more ugly.

Nobody cared how the cake looked. This is a dinner sized plate, not those wimpy dessert sized ones. I reserved that little plate for dinner.


Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese (it can be cold from the fridge)
5 T softened butter
2 t vanilla
2 C powdered sugar
any flavorings you want

Beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar a little at a time. At this point I split it in half and added 2 T orange juice and 1/2 t orange zest to one half, and 1/2 cup diced strawberries to the other half. Chill slightly and frost your cake. Or dip a strawberry in it. Or eat it with a spoon. Or......I'll stop now.


No comments: