Friday, February 6, 2009

Mini Cornbread Muffins


The Farmers Wife cookbook claims that the only unforgivable sin is to put sugar in cornbread. But I've known some wives of farmers, and quite frankly, they didn't seem so picky about cornbread. Plus, I like sugar.

Kevin is taking me ice fishing (yay!) tomorrow, so he made another pot of chili to bring onto the lake with us. I decided to make some mini cornbread muffins to go with it. My roommate Catherine gave the recipe to me, and she was an exceptionally good cook. One thing that I haven't experimented with is using honey instead of sugar, but that will be a good next step to get it closer to a food storage recipe.

Using whole wheat flour makes it a slightly brown color instead of bright yellow. That is unfortunate, but they still taste good. Once I tried them with freshly ground corn flour and whole wheat flour. That was a mistake. I pretended to like them, but they were so heavy that it was no longer hedonistic to eat them. And with a cup of butter, don't bother eatin' 'em unless you genuinely like 'em. Nobody else ate more than a bite.

Usually I half the recipe.

Cornbread
1 cup melted butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 can creamed corn

Mix the baking soda and buttermilk. Dump everything else into a big bowl, mix it up, and pour into muffin cups or a 9 X 13 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes (if using the big pan.) At the end of the baking time, check to see if the bread is set. If it still jiggles, cut it into squares and continue baking for 10 minutes or so. That will help it bake in the center.

No comments: