Sunday, February 1, 2009

Shrimp Salsa Bisque


Last week I worked overtime three days and had a yoga class on another night, which meant I had to bring lunch, dinner, and two snacks with me every night except once.
On Monday I went home early to spend some time with Kevin, and got home just in time to remember that Kevin was fishing. So I felt sorry for myself and caught up on my library books instead of making some food to bring to work. Uggg....we had no food in the house so I had to resort to toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches more than once. It would be an incredible hardship to have to eat the same fare again all this week, so I tried this shrimp bisque recipe.

Cut up the shrimp into bite sized pieces. Doesn't it look so bright and colorful?

The shrimp is ready to go into the soup.

Take it from a girl who knows: don't put your plastic cutting board on a hot burner.

Shrimp Salsa Bisque
1 18 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
4 cups water
1 lb cooked shrimp, shelled and cut into bite sized chunks
1 red bell pepper (or green)
2 jalapeno peppers
1/2 onion
1/4 C fresh cilantro
1 t oregano
1/2 t cumin
1 C sour cream
1 T sugar
2 C cooked rice (or barley)
Pour the tomatoes, and their juice, in a soup pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Remove the seeds from the peppers and chop them and the onion. Place in a blender with the cilantro, oregano, and cumin. Pulse until finely pureed. Add to the soup, stir to blend, and add the shrimp. Warm 5-10 minutes. Whisk in sour cream and sugar. Put a spoonful of rice in a bowl and ladle the soup over the top.

No comments: