Saturday, February 7, 2009

Granola

I'm starting to accumulate quite a collection of various nuts and dried fruits that never get eaten. This weekend my goal is to get rid of as much of it as possible, and hopefully some of the oats that didn't fit into our last 5 gallon bucket will also get used.

Mom used to make granola when I was growing up. She was really good at getting big clumps to stick together. Mine seems to abhor group interaction; that is how I know it came from me. I have used the same recipe as her, but every oat of mine is a hermit, doing its best to not cling to any other oat or nut in the bunch. Oh, well. Maybe she will come and make a bunch of it for me. This isn't her recipe, it is one that I came across online.



For the fruit I used dates and cherries. Chop them up a bit before adding them to the granola. I know what you are thinking: "I don't want any dates." Relax, this isn't the kind of date that will get you served with divorce papers. It is sweet and surprisingly good. Todd eats them at work regularly, and I finally asked to taste one and was shocked when it tasted good. Plus, they are usually coated with sugar, which makes them extra yummy.


The sheet of granola is done when it is golden brown. As the granola cooked it smelled so good that our naughty little dog kept creeping into the kitchen, trying to find a morsel that fell onto the floor. He literally follows me around; it didn't take him long to figure out that I am a messy girl who likes to eat.

The smell is a combination of coconut, cinnamon, and nuts toasting. Heavenly. Seriously, if heaven is half as good as this granola I am going to wish I had changed my rascally ways.

Granola
3 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup coconut
6 tablespoons flax seeds, sesame seeds, or a combination on both
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/4 cup sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup toasted mixed nuts, chopped (I used hazelnuts but almonds would be better)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon maple syrup - or more honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups mixed dried fruit (I used dates and cherries)

Preheat the oven to 375. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the dried fruit. Mix the salt, cinnamon, oil, honey, syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl. Stir the honey mixture into the oat mixture and stir well to incorporate.


Bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. If some of the granola get a little burned, gently spoon the burned pieces into the trash before stirring the whole sheet together. Let it cool completely, then mix it with an equal amount of bran flakes [or other flaked cereal], the dried fruit, and anything else that suits your fancy.

No comments: