Friday, November 28, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries (or Steak Fries) and Pumpkin Parfaits

Thanksgiving has come and gone, and I was worried that I missed the chance to try some pumpkin recipes. So I asked Kevin if it pumpkin season was over. He told me it was OK to eat pumpkin any time of the year. Even on Valentine's day. And I listened to him for a couple of reasons.

1) He is extra smart and I like to listen to everything he says.
2) He gave me the answer I wanted to hear.


So we are going to keep eating "fall" foods until either Kevin demands that we give them up until next year, or else I get tired of them.


If you don't like sweet potatoes go ahead and use regular potatoes. Nobody will think any less of you for it. It is fun to leave the skin on and cut them into wedges. Kevin tried these fries two times, just to see if he would like them better the second time. Both times he gagged and made a face similar to if he just found a giant cockroach in his sandwich. I like them with shredded cheese melted on top or else dipped in ranch.

Sweet Potato Fries or Steak Fries
4 large potatoes
2 T oil
1 t paprika
1/2 t cumin
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Mix the oil and seasonings in a large bowl. Cut the potatoes in quarters and then lengthwise again. If you are using sweet potatoes, I like to cut them a little bit smaller.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Broil for another minute or two to make the fries a little crispier.


Pumpkin Pie or Parfait
1 can pumpkin
1 1/2 C milk (any kind - I used skim)
2 eggs
1/2 C maple syrup (or granulated sugar)
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t cloves

Mix everything together and either pour into a pie shell or into a baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until somewhat firm. This is not as thick as most pumpkin pies since it uses milk instead of evaporated milk.

If you are making a parfait, let the pumpkin mixture cool, blend it with a hand blender, then layer whipped cream with the pumpkin in an ice cream glass.

1 comment:

Marla said...

seriously megan. i just love you.
i LOVE sweet potato fries - that's funny that kevin gags when he tries to eat them. maybe it's something you are born with. i love everything sweet potato-ey. :) the pumpkin parfaits look super yummy too! long live pumpkin!!