Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All for a Quarter


Today marks the conquering of one plaguing problem.


It started about a year ago. I was at the vending machine trying to feed it a dollar which it fastidiously rejected. I was 1 quarter short of being able to buy my treat, and this dollar was the key to my destiny as a vending machine patron.


In the middle of this struggle I saw a man out of the corner on my eye. He was waiting for the machine and he offered to give me a quarter. I could pay him back the next time I saw him. Horray.


But then, much to my horror, I forgot who had lent me the quarter. I knew it was an old man with grey hair. But there are many men in my office who fit that description and I had no idea which precise one had been at the vending machine that day.
I told Ed about my dilemma and in the past year we have laughed about my unpaid debt numerous times. One time I even thought I had found the guy, only to have him tell me that he had no idea what I was talking about.
But today I saw Don. He is temporarily back from retirement as a contractor, so he hasn't been around for a while. He HAS to be the guy. I asked Ed what his name was and where he sat. Ed pretended that he would go with me, but then as I started towards Don's cube, Ed sat back in his chair and said that he couldn't go because he was too shy.
So off I went, facing my doom with Don. He said he didn't think I owed him a quarter. I explained what had happened, and he said that sounds like something he might do, but he didn't think he was the guy I was looking for.
Drat! Even if he forgot about such a small debt, I was still pretty sure that he was the guy I was looking for. I insisted that he take the quarter and declared with gusto that my conscience was clear.
After I got back to my cube, a guy who sits close to Don came by with a bewildered expression.
Apparently, I had walked past him without waving. Sheesh...I had more important things on my mind.....and I don't even know that guy's name....


1 comment:

marlamuppets said...

funny megan. the same thing happened to me.
i was trying to buy D5 (my famous amos cookies). :) and this guy just offered me his quarter!