Saturday, November 22, 2008

Buried in Treasures

Here is a picture of my side of the closet. AFTER I haven't done laundry for 2 weeks. My laundry basket won't even hold any more clothes because it is so full. But my closet is still jam-packed full of clothing. With all these clothes hanging up and even more folded in the baskets, why, I wonder, do I feel like I have nothing to wear? But it doesn't stop there.....



I also have a shelf of pants.....



And three more drawers full of shirts. And sweaters. And camis. And long sleeved T-shirts.


I will save you from a picture of my underwear drawer. Actually, I have to do laundry today or else I will have no underwear to wear tomorrow. And absolutely, no matter what, I will not wear dirty underwear. So if I skip church tomorrow, you know why.

Although I whole heartedly disagree with the theory of retail therapy, I often find myself sorting through a clearance rack at Kohls, and traipsing home with a bag of clothes I don't need. Even though everything cost less than $4, I don't think I can afford to get anything else. Where will I put it? More importantly, what hole am I trying to fill with all this stuff?

There is no room for more amongst all my junk. Actually, the things I have aren't junk - I have a lot of very nice things. They could even be called treasures. The problem is that nothing I own gets truly appreciated simply because of the sheer volume of my possessions.

Sometimes I look at all my stuff and think of the pirate movies with a huge cave full of gold. No one person could ever realistically use all of it. Some greedy pirate stashed it all there just so that nobody else could get their greedy paws on it, and there it sits, doing nobody any good.

What I need is a friend who will come over and watch me try on everything I own. Then help me choose what to get rid of and what to keep. And I will go do the same for her. Seriously, I read a book about decluttering and it suggested that everyone have between 5-8 shirts and 2-3 pants, all of which coordinate. Ha! I can't even begin to imagine how to get to that point.

No comments: