Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Watermelon Strawberry Slushies

In Vegan Soul Kitchen, Bryant Terry mentions that he used to avoid watermelon because of the racial stereotypes associated with it. That was a surprise to me. The first time I heard about that stereotype was when the mayor in California resigned over the cartoon about the Easter egg hunt using watermelons instead of eggs this year at the White House.

Now I wonder why I was born white. If there ever was a watermelon lover, it is me. Kevin makes fun of me for eating half a watermelon in one sitting. When I buy a watermelon, Kevin will buy an extra one if he feels like eating some because he knows that there isn't enough in one melon for me and anyone else.

At first glance, I took issue with adding honey to the wonderfully sweet watermelon. But who am I to criticize a fellow watermelon lover? The slushies are wonderful with the honey, and I will never again doubt anything Bryant suggests.

Watermelon Strawberry Slushies
8 cups of watermelon juice (blend seeded watermelon cubes until you get the right amount)
2 cups frozen strawberries
2 T lime juice
1/8 C honey
berries or mint for garnish
Fill two large ice cube trays with the watermelon juice and freeze until solid. Mix the watermelon ice cubes, the rest of the watermelon juice, and the rest of the ingredients and blend with a hand blender. If you are using a regular blender you may need to blend in 2 batches.

No comments: