Monday, May 18, 2009

Lamb Curry

A few years ago Mom made lamb curry while we were in Wyoming. As the good daughter who I sometimes pretend to be, I said that it smelled good. She put apples in it and when I dished out my plate I avoided the apples like a plague. One apple chunk snuck on to my plate, and to my utter shock, it was great.

Then I revisited the curry pot and dished out a few more scoops of apples.

Last weekend I was a crazy cook, and we had this curry for Kevin's birthday on Sunday. It wasn't the meal he requested. But he did say that it was the best lamb curry he has ever tasted. (For whatever that is worth - seriously, how many times could he have possibly eaten lamb curry?)

Lamb Curry
1 lamb roast (about 2 cups chopped lamb)
1 T oil
1 onion, chopped
3 t curry
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 C water
1 t chicken bouillon
1/4 C cold water
2 T flour
salt and pepper to taste

Roast the lamb in the oven for 2 hours, until it reaches 170 degrees. Let cool slightly, then trim fat and shop into 3/4 inch cubes. In a skillet saute the onion. Add the lamb, onion, curry, apples, 3/4 C of water, and bouillon to a large skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir 1/4 C cold water and 2 T flour, then stir over medium heat until how and bubbly. Add salt and pepper to taste and then serve over hot rice or whole grains.

No comments: