Saturday, January 24, 2009

Penzeys Spices

Kevin is the best husband in the world. I know, I know. You think your husband is the best, but that is simply impossible. You only think it is because you have never been married to Kevin. Let me indulge myself in a little brag session. Please try to contain your intense jealousy; it will eat you up from the inside out if you do not get a handle on it.

The moment I see Kevin when I return from a shopping trip, his face lights up and he asks if I will show him my new treasures. Then, with genuine interest, he discusses each item while I tell him what I like about it and why I chose it.

If Kevin comes shopping with me, which he loves to do, he will wait outside the dressing room with my purse. If I head towards the dressing room without handing my purse to him, he will ask if I would like him to hold it for me. Each time I come out, he will tell me how cute I am in the clothes. If, while he is waiting, someone asks about the purse he is holding, he grins and says that it matches his shoes.

The only time he got embarrassed was when he was shopping alone for lingerie and the price wasn't ringing up. He tried to say he didn't need to buy it, but the clerk insisted it was no problem and ran to check the price. She was gone a long time, leaving him with a pair of sexy women's underwear at the front of a long line of suspicious stares.

This weekend Kevin, the amazing husband extraordinaire, accompanied me to a Penzeys store. We first heard about Penzeys two weeks ago at the symphony. Kara told us that it was a fabulous spice store that sells really good spices in 1/2 cup jars for cheaper than at the grocery store. I had the urge to throw my 5 year old spices in the trash and start fresh with a whole new rack but, alas, my thrifty nature dictates that each used Ziploc bag be used two or three times, and therefore getting rid of a cabinet full of old spices is completely out of the question. Being a cheapskate is a heavy burden.

As I made my final selections, Kevin went through the store and gathered every edition of the complimentary magazine distributed by Penzeys. Then we spent the entire 45 minute ride home enduring sharp hunger pains as I leafed through the recipes [and Kevin glanced over while driving extremely safely], complete with delectable pictures. Each page we turned revealed something more appealing.

Here is a picture of our fabulous new spices in our nifty new spice rack.

And this is a picture of some of the displaced food items that were made refugees by the new spice rack. The middle shelf was 1/2 inch too short to fit a rack, so we took it out and stacked the racks, and are now seriously short on shelf space. Bye, bye old food. We don't know where you will go, but you are no longer welcome here.

No comments: