Thursday, January 15, 2009

It Doesn't Make You a Bad Cook

It happens to the best of cooks. Don't ask me why I think I have any expertise on the subject.

Something needs to come to a boil and after turning up the heat you run and quickly check your email. Then browse to see if any interesting news is on news.yahoo.com. Then you surf over to amazon.com to see if anything in your wish list is on sale. Before long, your nose perks up and you start to wonder where that smoky smell is coming from.

Dang it, the burner is on high and the oatmeal is burned. I suppose this pot should go out on the deck before the smoke alarms go off.

As luck would have it, just such a scenario transpired last weekend in our home. Early in our marriage Kevin once mentioned that it had been a while since I had burned anything. I think he was insinuating that I wasn't a good cook, but in reality being a good cook is wildly different from having EVERYTHING you cook turn out perfectly EVERY TIME. Who could possibly be held to that standard?

Also, the longer I fiddle with new recipes the more I realize that the most significant part of being a good cook is finding good recipes. It has nothing to do with raw talent.

We live in the real world, and part of that reality is sometimes running a pot outside while smoke billows into the house. The splendid imperfections of everyday life are what make it so precious.

No comments: