Friday, October 30, 2009

Apple Butter

This is apple butter and strawberries on oatmeal pancakes.

In the true spirit of fall, we have procured a bunch of apples. It all started on Monday. I had the day off and was making cookies when John called Kevin. That started the ball rolling, and before we knew it we were driving to pick 2 large apple boxes of apples from Farmer Bob's apple trees. Bob and Karen are super friendly and they also happen to grow really tasty food. We are so grateful that they have shared some of that food with us.

Being a picky eater, I would never touch apple butter as a kid. But the past 10 years have been eye opening, and I am currently reaching out to various food groups. Some foods aren't my favorite, but I try to eat a lot of things just because they are healthy. If I tell myself that nutrient dense food is tasty will it become true? It is working to some degree because I have been craving lentil soup lately. Maybe that means I am growing up.


Nah......

First, we washed and quartered the apples. Apparently the skin contains a lot of flavor and the core has a lot of pectin, so it is best to cook it all together and then get the skin and seeds out later. Then we put about 1 inch of water and a splash of apple cider vinegar in the biggest pot we own and added apples until they were about 1 inch above the top of the pot (they cook down so you will be able to put the lid on completely in a few minutes). We cooked them on medium high for 1-2 hours, until they were super soft.

We bought a food mill at Fleet Farm just for this momentous occasion. You turn and turn and turn, and the peels and seeds stay on top while apple mush is squeezed out the bottom. Then I fluttered my eyelashes at Kevin. He thought something was in my eye. Finally, he agreed to take a turn. When he started turning it went a lot faster. At least it seemed that way to me.

The first batch was made with a potato ricer instead of a food mill. It didn't go well.

1-2 teaspoons of apple pie spice went in now and we stirred it all together in the crock pot. You can also add sugar, but we didn't bother. I am trying to train my mouth to like flavors besides sweet.

Prop up the lid with kabob sticks so that the steam can escape.

The crock pot took over from there. 12 hours later it had reduced by about half. It gets really dark and caramelized, but doesn't burn. Well, the sides are burned but the stuff in the bottom is perfect.


Apple Butter
1 crock pot full of apple sauce (about 2 pots of quartered apples cooked and strained)
1-2 teaspoons of apple pie spice (or more)
2-4 cups of sugar (optional - this amount sounds crazy-high to me)

No comments: