Monday, November 23, 2009

Pumpkin Bread

As a kid I would look forward to dessert. When dinner was finally over, out would come the brownies and to my horror nuts would be laced throughout the chocolaty goodness. I vowed that no matter what I would never, ever put nuts in desserts. Because that is what old people do. And even now I don't want to admit that I have crossed that barrier that separates the young from the old. So no nuts will ever grace my sweet breads or my desserts.

This bread was calling to me for two weeks before I got around to making it. When it finally would not be ignored any longer, the ingredients came together into a dense, moist loaf of pumpkin goodness.

I brought one loaf to a friend with a new baby and when he picked up the bag his eyebrows shot up and he said, "Whoa! This is heavy!" Yep, it is.

Pumpkin Bread
5 small or 4 larger bananas, mashed
1-28 oz can or 2 15-oz cans pumpkin
3/4 c brown sugar (or leave it out if you want)
1/2c honey
1/2 c oil
4 eggs
5 c whole wheat pastry flour (or whatever flour)
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
1 t salt if
4 t pumpkin pie spice
2 t cinnamon
up to 3 C any other extras such as flax seeds, wheat germ, bran flakes, or cranberries.
Mix everything in a large bowl, stir to combine everything, then fill 2 greased, waxed paper lined loaf pans. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.

No comments: