Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Colcannon [Sweet] Potatoes

Both Hali and Mom have been telling me about colcannon potatoes. How is the world have I never heard of this recipe? My image of myself as the cabbage queen is now completely dashed and I am scrambling for new cabbage-licious recipes.

Since I had 3 pounds of sweet potatoes that have been looking at me I used them instead of regular potatoes. It is absolutely F.A.N.T.A.S.T.I.C. The best thing about it is that it is a simple, earthy, delicious, wholesome meal.

Colcannon Potatoes
3 lbs potatoes or sweet potatoes, cubed and steamed or boiled
1/2 head cabbage, finely chopped
4 strips bacon

Cook the bacon and crumble it on a large frying pan. Throw in the cabbage and cook the cabbage until it wilts. Toss it together.

Mash the potatoes in a ricer or with a potato masher. Throw in some milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Put the potatoes into the cabbage and mix it together.

Enjoy the simple life while savoring this delightful meal.

No comments: