Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Perfect Cookies

My cookies always turn out flat and crumbly. A while ago I came across a recipe that uses raw buckwheat instead of nuts in The New Whole Grains Cookbook. It also has almond flavoring and LOTS of vanilla. They were super yummy - the best I have had. But also super flat.

So I experimented with different cookie recipes, and 3 weeks of solid weight gain began.

I finally came up with a recipe I am satisfied with. They were almost too fluffy. I had to flatten them with a fork - peanut butter cookie style. I added more vanilla and almond than the recipe called for, and next time I will add even more.

Also, next time I may leave out a bit of the flour and only add it if they are flatter than I want.

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup room temp butter
(Mix that together)

2 eggs (any temp)
1 1/2 t salt
1 T vanilla
1/4 t almond flavoring
(Mix well now)

2 cups flour (I only use freshly ground whole wheat flour)
1 t baking soda
(Mix)

1 cup flour
(Mix)

2+ cups chocoloate chips
1/2 cup raw buckwheat, rinsed
(Mix just enough to incorporate)

Bake at 375 for 9-12 minutes or until golden brown

No comments: