Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Just a Little Nudge

Software engineers have a habit of getting 95% finished with a project, and then the remaining 5% winds up taking just as long as the first 95%. The loose ends, finishing touches, and last minute bugs can bog you down for months.
During a meeting, Kurt asked me how much I had left to do, and I drew the picture of the Grand Canyon, with my place marked by and X. I am really close to the other side, but to get there I need to follow the dotted line around the cliff, and it could be a very, very long time.
Kurt looked at my drawing and he added the people: him giving me a little nudge. Notice his long Frankenstein hands. And into the deep crevice I fell.....

No comments: