Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Homemade Pizza

We made the best homemade pizza. We actually made it. We ground the wheat to make the crust and also made the cheese. What! You've never made cheese? It's easy.


First, you mix a little citric acid with 1 gallon of milk. Then you heat it to 88 degrees. So a little higher than room temperature. Then mix in a little rennet dissolved in water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, strain off the whey, stretch it out, throw it in ice water so it can cool quickly, and WALLAH! Homemade mozarella.


If you want to make some cheese, order a kit from Ricki at http://www.cheesemaking.com/. If you live in Minneapolis, come over to my house to make it because I have a kit and it comes with enough rennet to make about a bazillion gallons of milk into cheese.

It also makes a bunch of whey. Way to much whey. What on earth do you do with it? We made a couple cups into soup and threw the rest out. Let me know if you find something more useful for your whey.

Kevin likes his pizza with jalapenos, 2 layers of pepperoni and green peppers. I had green peppers and hamburger on my half.

Yum.

What could be better than watching the yummiest man alive cut the yummiest pizza ever?

1 comment:

Kim Ashford said...

Hey Megan- I just found your blog on Marla's. Welcome to the blogging world! I would love to come over and learn how to make cheese- My kids would LOVE it too. We just need to get Nate healthy.
-Kim