Thursday, August 13, 2009

A Question From Carrie


The call came Saturday evening. Kevin and I were in the fruit isle of the grocery store.

"Hi Megan, this is Carrie." Immediately I started racking my brain…hmmmm…who is Carrie? Instead of the obvious reply, "Carrie who?" my big mouth blurted (all on its own), "Hi! How's it going?"

To which she replied, "Good! I am just wondering how it went."

Now I am stuck. How did it go? What does that MEAN? Who is Carrie and what was I supposed to be doing for her? Did I forget about some commitment? It wouldn't be unusual for me to double book a day and then forget about one of the appointments, but for the life of me I can not think of who she could possibly be. Have I even SPOKEN to a Carrie in the immediate past?

After a stiflingly long pause there is no choice but to ask, "I am sorry….who are you?" And she says, "This is Terri W." OH! It's my the woman in charge of the project I have been slaving over for the past 3 weeks. She is calling to check on my status since I have worked late on Friday and all day on Saturday. Thankfully it went great. The only real problem is that I feel like a dufus for not recognizing her voice on the phone, and then trying to play along instead of asking who she was right away.

Note to self: program the number of all work associates into my cell phone.

Second note to self: never, NEVER, agree to work overtime every day for 11 days in a row. Especially if it is during the move of a wonderful family, and I feel obligated to help them move. It really blocks clear thinking to not have time to relax.

No comments: