Sunday, March 22, 2009

Popcorn S'mores


The first 3 years of our marriage left our popcorn air popper sad and lonely. Kevin didn't like air popped popcorn, and I never thought about using it. Then, one fateful day, I decided to make some popcorn and really loaded it up on butter and salt. Do you know how they say that people are mostly water, and if you took all of it away you would be just a little dirt? That doesn't hold true for Kevin. He is 80% salt, and the only thing keeping the salt in one piece is the little bit of water. When food is so salty that I can't even eat it, he will add extra salt to his plate. Eeek.

That was when Kevin discovered that he liked air popped popcorn. In fact, he liked it enough to ask for some more the next weekend. It has progressed to the point that if the word "popcorn" is mentioned in conversation, Kevin will automatically stand up, go to the kitchen, and start popping popcorn. It is almost like he has been hypnotized to respond to that word.

Then 101cookbooks.com had a recipe for chili lime popcorn, and we made it and it was excellent. We got the book and now we need to start trying new recipes for popcorn.

Of course, my first recipe is a sweet one. I have been salivating over the popcorn smores for several weeks. Every day I would remind myself to buy some Golden Grahams on the way home, and every day I would forget. On Friday night I finally got some, and immediately upon entering the house, I started to make the smores. Of course, Kevin edged in first (because I had said the P word) and made a batch of buttery popcorn to go with the sweet bars.

I was planning to drizzle chocolate on top of the bars, but there is already chocolate inside, so I left it off of the top.

Popcorn S'Mores
4 quarts air popped popcorn
1/2 stick butter
1/2 t vanilla
5 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup Golden Grahams
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt the butter and then mix in the marshmallows and melt them. Stir it up with 1/2 t of vanilla. Mix in the popcorn and Golden Grahams, and then the chocolate chips. Press into a 9X13 pan and let cool before cutting into bars.

No comments: