Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mushroom Sage Gnocchi



The fridge is a mysterious place. There are treasures hidden inside that badly want to be eaten. Such was the case with a pound of mushrooms and a package of gnocchi. Once I made gnocchi with a recipe from "The New Whole Grains Cookbook" and it was so time consuming that I am still exhausted just thinking about it. And it made a huge mess.


But, for some reason, we had a package in the fridge. I tried to find a recipe for a mushroom and sage sauce, but came up empty handed, so ended up throwing a few things together. Don't you hate it when people say that? Uggg...just tell me what you did so I don't have to guess when I try to recreate it.

Basically, I chopped the mushrooms, put them in the skillet with a little oil and 1/2 t of sage, then let them cook. When they looked done, I added a cup of beef broth and a flour paste to thicken it up a little. It never did thicken, so I pretended that it wasn't supposed to. Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water until it floats. Then combine the sauce and the gnocchi and sit down for a hearty meal.
Gnocchi with Mushroom Sage Sauce
1 pound mushrooms, chopped
1 T oil
1/2 t sage
1 C beef broth
1 package gnocchi
Heat a skillet with 1 T oil. When it is hot, add the mushrooms and sage and let them cook until the mushrooms have released their juices. Then add the beef broth, and a paste of flour and water if you would like it to be a thicker sauce. Heat a pot of salted water to boiling. When it reaches a rolling boil, add the gnocchi and cook for 2 minutes after they rise to the top of the water. Drain them and put them in the mushroom sauce. Serve with a leafy green salad.



1 comment:

Marla said...

gnocci is my absolute favorite. i fell in LOVE with it in italy. cortona, italy to be exact.
it was pure heaven.