Friday, March 6, 2009

Catastrophe at Aldi's

Have you been to Aldi's? It is fabulous. They have only 1 choice for most canned items, most things are store brands, and everything costs about 1/3 the price of other grocery stores. We go there about twice a month. Since it is so cheap, it attracts a lot of immigrants. This story, like so many others, begins with a child.

One fateful day, a 20 year old Somalian mother rushed into Aldi's with her 3 year old daughter. She was wearing a headscarf and I can only imagine that she was extremely conservative. I smiled to myself in the checkout line as I watched her usher her daughter, who looked like she was on an incredibly short timeline, into the bathroom. Kids are so darling. I say that from a distance. When I actually have to deal with all that stuff it drives me up the wall.

Then I turned to the conveyor belt to unload my cart. Suddenly there is a bunch of yelling coming from inside the bathroom and I look up just in time to see this woman run out of the bathroom with her daughter with, "I'm so sorry," on her breath, and then make a hasty retreat into the woman's bathroom. Oops....

My heart went out to this poor woman who had rushed into the restroom only to realize, too late, that she had chosen the wrong one. Especially since she was obviously extremely embarrassed about it. But the more I think about it, it is also very funny. Hopefully she wasn't traumatized for life.

No comments: