Friday, July 9, 2010

Nasturtium Orange Butter - And Other Creations

Aunt Marie sent me home with a bouquet of edible flowers. They were beautiful and I was thrilled - but a bit hesitant to actually eat a flower.

We wanted an excuse to see her, so we asked if we could help weed her garden. She saw through our excuses but let us come. Aunt Louise got the short end of the stick because I left with FOUR BAGS of loot and she got nothing. I guess the moral of the story is if I volunteer to help, hide your stuff because I may be really excited to use all the wonderful things growing in your garden. It's my garden envy and I must wear it on my sleeve because everyone gave me some food as a gift. At any rate, I'm a lucky, lucky girl.

Thanks, Aunt Marie. I loved everything that came from your garden and you are so generous.

These are stuffed with cream cheese and chives and next time I get my hands on a few blooms I am going to try the honey and walnut recipe.

A salad with a few gorgeous blooms as garnish looks really fancy. Aunt Marie is so nice and fun. I wish I lived closer to her so I could see her every day.



Nasturtium Orange Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 t orange peel, grated
1 T lime juice
3 T nasturtium blossoms, finely chopped

Herbed Cream Cheese Stuffed Nasturtium Blossoms
3 ounces softened cream cheese
1 T heavy cream
2 T minced fresh chives

Nasturtium Stuffed with Honey, Cream Cheese, and Walnuts
3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
4 T sour cream
1 T fresh lemon juice
3 T honey
1 t vanilla
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped golden raisins
20 nasturtiums and leaves, washed and dried
Salt to taste
30 large nasturtium blossoms

No comments: