Monday, December 8, 2008

Fast, Friendly Service. You'll Find None of that Here.

Last February my computer started making weird noises. The fan would put out a high pitched whine for a few hours and then shut off. I was told that it was out of warranty, so I would just get a new computer.


Today I got a new laptop at work. My admin is about to ring my neck because I have asked her when my new computer will be here every week for the past 9 months. It is outrageous that it took so long.


But now it is finally here so I can jump for joy. Now I can't send encrypted email because my certificates weren't imported to my new computer. I called the help desk to ask them how to install the certificates. The "help desk" is a phone number anyone at work can call and they will fix any computer related issue.


I originally had an email that explained the steps to install the certificates, but our email is automatically deleted after 1 1/2 months, so I no longer had the instructions. The guy at the help desk was willing to restore all my old emails. I told him that, no, I didn't want to hunt through all my old emails. I wanted instructions on how to install the certificates. He told me to call the company who sells certificates and have them guide me through how to install them.

Outraged, I told him that I knew there was a company contact who was in charge of certificates, and I would not call a third party for instructions that I should be able to get from him. Miraculously, he suddenly remembered how to install certificates and they were installed in 5 minutes.

Uggg....those help desk guys. No wonder they get a bad reputation.


1 comment:

marlamuppets said...

hilarious. and sad.
the other day i had to call the helpdesk for the phone number to call in to your voicemail from home. the helpdesk person LEFT A MESSAGE IN MY VOICEMAIL to tell me how to access my voicemail. :)
bright bulbs let me tell you!