Sunday, December 28, 2008

Enchilada Sauce with Aunt Linnie

Not only is Aunt Linnie beautiful, she also makes a mean enchilada sauce. Kristin had gotten her hands on a jar of it a couple of years ago and I got to try it, and ever since I have been craving another taste of her magic sauce.

Last week, Hali and I had to drop a few things off at her house, and while we were visiting, it suddenly dawned on me that if I asked her for the recipe she might give it to me. It was a startling revelation, and the question blurted out of my mouth before I could second guess the impropriety of asking about a secret family recipe.

Aunt Linnie offered to make it with us the first time. This was very generous of her because she is getting ready to leave for a trip to California. We were so excited by her offer that we jumped at the chance and she came over yesterday to make it.

It was a bit of unfortunate timing because about 1 1/2 hours before she arrived I got a migraine. Arrrgghh!! It has been a long, long time since I have had one, and I had been looking forward to this enchilada sauce. Instead of calling her and telling her not to come, like a normal person may have done, I decided to ignore it.

We had only made it through mixing up the ingredients when I was forced into hibernation, and I went to bed. When I woke up feeling better at 1:30 AM, I got up for a snack and the enchilada sauce was already in the jars. It was the easiest batch of enchilada sauce EVER!
Aunt Linnie says that El Pato tomato sauce is the only brand that works in this sauce. She knows pretty much everything, so I am going to take her at her word.




Enchilada Sauce
2 big spoonfuls of shortening
2 3/4 C flour
4 quarts tomato juice
4 quarts water
2 cans El Pato Tomato Sauce (7 3/4 ounce)
3 T salt
1 1/2 C + 1 t sugar
4 t cumin
3 t ground oregano
1 1/4 T vinegar
Melt shortening and add flour until it makes a smooth paste. Add the water and tomato juice. Add El Pato tomato sauce. Keep stirring to get out all lumps. Mix all the dry ingredients together and then add to sauce. Add vinegar. Bring to a boil and reduce slightly.
Add sauce to jars and let them steam in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes before putting on the lids.
Enchilada Soup
1 quart enchilada sauce
2 cans corn with liquid
2 cans kidney beans, rinsed
3 chicken breasts or 1 large can of Kirkland chicken from Costco

1 comment:

marlamuppets said...

yum. i want to try this.
i buy the canned sauce and it's crap.
:)
i love that you can stuff!